“Can any of you add a single cubit to his height by worrying?”
Matthew 6:27 HCSB

A cubit is the distance from the tip of your longest finger to the bottom of your elbow, which averages out to be 18 inches. So how can I add 18 inches to my height? I would have to learn to be a stilt walker. It is possible to walk on 18-inch stilts. In fact, that does not seem too hard, but to be able to do this I would have to learn to trust the stilts and not worry. Just like in life we need to trust God and not worry. He has our lives in the palm of His hand. It is our job to let Him be our God

 “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish — ever! No one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all. No one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.”
John 10:28-30 HCSB

Most of the Bible translations render this verse not in height but in length of your life. So who can worry and add a single hour to your life? Modern medicine has concluded that worrying, in fact, shortens our lifespan. Jesus, the creator of life already knew this and told everyone this 2000 years ago.  

Back to stilt walking. As I would be learning to stilt walk I would be fearful of trying to learn this new talent, but as I practice with the stilts over time I would become more confident in my stilts. Until finally I could walk in my stilts with no worries. 


When we get challenged to do new things for God we may feel scared, nervous, or even anxious, but the more we trust God and walk with Him the more at ease we will be in our new challenge. Then we can let God add 18 inches to our height in life.  

Comments

Popular Posts