“No one can be a slave of two masters, since either he will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot be slaves of God and of money.” Matthew 6:24 HCSB

When the Bible talks about slaves most of us will have a picture of the American slaves. The rough harsh treatment that their owners dealt out to them. But to be a slave of God is not like that. We become a bondservant to God. The way the world and the devil treat us in like that of a slave. 

“But if the slave declares: ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I do not want to leave as a free man,’ his master is to bring him to the judges and then bring him to the door or doorpost. His master must pierce his ear with an awl, and he will serve his master for life.”
Exodus 21:5-6 HCSB

 Jesus was pierced for us to call us to God as slaves for life.

So if we are to be bondservants to God and we try to slaves to the world we will be torn, conflicted, because we are commanded by God to be different from the world. Who would we despise and hate? If we love the world we will despise God. If we despise God then we cannot willingly say “I love my master, God”.  

 “For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.”
Galatians 1:10 NASB

“If a countryman of yours becomes so poor with regard to you that he sells himself to you, you shall not subject him to a slave’s service. He shall be with you as a hired man as if he were a sojourner; he shall serve with you until the year of jubilee.”
Leviticus 25:39-40 NASB


We are not to be slaves to the church or each other. We are to be hired workers. No one is to be treated to harsh labor by the leadership of the church. If you have been treated this way by the church and you hate God for it. God was not in that church. Return to God and find a loving church that will teach you the Love of God.

Comments

Popular Posts