“When the apostles returned, they reported to Jesus all that they had done. He took them along and withdrew privately to a town called Bethsaida.” Luke 9:10 HCSB
“Master guess what,’ exclaimed Philip, “I cast out 25 demons, healed 50 people, and I had plenty of bread the whole time I was gone.”
“Wow that is awesome!” replied Matthew. “Master, I also cast out several demons and healed countless people. I ran into one of my old tax collector buddies and he told me he would look you up next time we are in his town.”
“That’s cool,” replied Judas. “I drove out 2 or 3 demons and healed less than 5 people. The whole time I never needed my walking stick,”
“Look, I have given you the authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and over all the power of the enemy; nothing will ever harm you. However, don’t rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”
Luke 10:19-20 HCSB
“You know what Jesus,” piped in Peter, “The whole time we were gone we were completely cared for. I never had to sleep on the road. Before dark someone always came along and invited to their house. Only once did my peace return back to me.”
“Yea the same thing happened to me,” replied Philip.
“Me to.” replied the rest.
“I can see how God provided for all of us” finished Matthew.
“Let’s go to Bethsaida!” Jesus instructed.
The disciples left with nothing and had to trust God and He provided for them. He empowered them to do what Jesus sent them out to do.
Will we trust God to provide and empower us to do what Jesus is calling us to do?
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding;”
Proverbs 3:5 HCSB
“Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with My righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10 HCSB
What was Jesus' plan for going to Bethsaida? To get away from the crowds.
“He said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a remote place and rest for a while.” For many people were coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.”
Mark 6:31 HCSB
To withdraw away from the crowds Jesus would often travel outside Israel, to the east side of the Jordan or the Sea of Galilee. Jesus was well known in Israel. Early on He could not even enter into any city without being recognized.
“Yet he went out and began to proclaim it widely and to spread the news, with the result that Jesus could no longer enter a town openly. But He was out in deserted places, and they would come to Him from everywhere.”
Mark 1:45 HCSB
In Mark’s account of feeding the 5,000, Jesus had withdrawn to a secluded place but the people raced around the Sea of Galilee to get to Jesus. One time Jesus went all the way over to a region of 10 cities outside of Israel, only to be discovered by a man with a legion of demons.
“Then they sailed to the region of the Gerasenes, which is opposite Galilee. When He got out on land, a demon-possessed man from the town met Him. For a long time he had worn no clothes and did not stay in a house but in the tombs.”
Luke 8:26-27 HCSB
Jesus was never running away but was always trying to find rest for Himself and His disciples. One time Jesus caught some rest on a boat in the middle of the storm.
“As He got into the boat, His disciples followed Him. Suddenly, a violent storm arose on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves. But He was sleeping.”
Matthew 8:23-24 HCSB
Our takeaway is, we must find rest! if our lives are so packed full that we are overwhelmed we must take some time off to relax. The spirit is willing to help but there comes a time for rest because our bodies are weak. Jesus never turned down any person who wanted time with Him but He was often looking for a break with his disciples.



Comments
Post a Comment