“For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life — a ransom for many.” ‭‭Mark‬ ‭10:45‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

Jesus does not ask us to be servants without first modeling it for us. The biggest act of servitude by Jesus was to lay down His life on Calvary so that we all may live in a personal relationship with God. But that was not Jesus’ only act of service. Another big one was when He washed the disciples' feet.


“So He got up from supper, laid aside His robe, took a towel, and tied it around Himself. Next, He poured water into a basin and began to wash His disciples’ feet and to dry them with the towel tied around Him. 

He came to Simon Peter, who asked Him, “Lord, are You going to wash my feet? ” 

Jesus answered him, “What I’m doing you don’t understand now, but afterward you will know.” 

“You will never wash my feet — ever! ” Peter said. Jesus replied, 

“If I don’t wash you, you have no part with Me.” 

Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, not only my feet, but also my hands and my head.” 

“One who has bathed,” Jesus told him, “doesn’t need to wash anything except his feet, but he is completely clean. You are clean, but not all of you.”

‭‭John‬ ‭13:4-10‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://www.bible.com/72/jhn.13.4-10.hcsb 


Jesus took off his robe, the symbol of who He is, and put on the towel, the symbol of a servant. He knelt down in front of each disciple to was their feet. If he was to wash their heads He would be standing over them. If he was to wash their hands He would be standing eye to eye with them, but He stooped down to take on the position of a servant. 


Does He still act as a servant to His followers today?


“If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you want and it will be done for you.”

‭‭John‬ ‭15:7‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://www.bible.com/72/jhn.15.7.hcsb


Yes! But with a condition! we must remain in Him. We cannot live like the world, when we know better, and expect Jesus to grant us our every wish and whim. But regather we are to lay ourselves down on His alter every day to die to self and rise again renewed for Him. 


“Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:1-2‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://www.bible.com/72/rom.12.1-2.hcsb


“Then He said to them all, “If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me.”

‭‭Luke‬ ‭9:23‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://www.bible.com/72/luk.9.23.hcsb


Paul took on the role of a servant instead of being built up with pride.


“Or did I commit a sin by humbling myself so that you might be exalted, because I preached the gospel of God to you free of charge? I robbed other churches by taking pay from them to minister to you. When I was present with you and in need, I did not burden anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied my needs. I have kept myself, and will keep myself, from burdening you in any way.”

‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭11:7-9‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://www.bible.com/72/2co.11.7-9.hcsb  


He accepted help from previous churches to minister to his current church. He would work during the day while being a preacher in the evenings. He would spend time with people in order to win them to Christ.


“To the weak I became weak, in order to win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I may by every possible means save some.”

‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭9:22‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://www.bible.com/72/1co.9.22.hcsb


When was the last time we served someone to win them over to Jesus? That requires us to lay aside our addenda and line up with their needs. It requires us to humble ourselves to see a need in their life. The Movie “Robots” has a quote by Mr. Bigweld that goes like this, “See a need, fill a need!” 


Comments

Popular Posts