Therefore I will always remind you about these things, even though you know them and are established in the truth you have. I consider it right, as long as I am in this bodily tent, to wake you up with a reminder, knowing that I will soon lay aside my tent, as our Lord Jesus Christ has also shown me. And I will also make every effort that you may be able to recall these things at any time after my departure.2 Peter 1:12‭-‬15 HCSB

Peter had things he wanted his readers to remember, but not only remember but that they may carry on after his departure. There is a season for everything under heaven. 

I am taking some time to reconsider how I do Brian's Quiet Time Thoughts. I will be changing from a quiet time approach to a Bible study approach. Which means that instead of doing one every morning I will be working on them through the day to establish a time and structure to my Bible study routine. 

Some of you may enjoy getting these but I do not what you to rely on me for your growth so I wanted to remind you how to feed yourself. 

So what does it mean to have a quiet time?

This is a time spend reading your Bible and anticipating that God will talk to you through His word and in return, you will pray back to God what he is speaking to you. Now some of you will wonder if God wants to speak to you. I want to encourage you that He does. Brain's Quiet Time Thoughts was born out of a desire for God to speak to me every day. And He is faithful for He has spoken to me every time I have typed these up. Since January 2018 I have made 700 posts to my blog and God has spoken to me every time to let me what to type.

God has recorded the times He has spent with people like Adam and Eve, Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus, and Paul.

Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden at the time of the evening breeze, and they hid themselves from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. So the Lord God called out to the man and said to him, “Where are you? ”
Genesis 3:8‭-‬9 HCSB
https://bible.com/bible/72/gen.3.8-9.HCSB

He took him outside and said, “Look at the sky and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” Then He said to him, “Your offspring will be that numerous.” Abram believed the Lord, and He credited it to him as righteousness.
Genesis 15:5‭-‬6 HCSB
https://bible.com/bible/72/gen.15.5-6.HCSB

The Lord said to Moses, “Cut two stone tablets like the first ones, and I will write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke. Be prepared by morning. Come up Mount Sinai in the morning and stand before Me on the mountaintop. No one may go up with you; in fact, no one must be seen anywhere on the mountain. Even the flocks and herds are not to graze in front of that mountain.”
Exodus 34:1‭-‬3 HCSB
https://bible.com/bible/72/exo.34.1-3.HCSB

Let me experience Your faithful love in the morning, for I trust in You. Reveal to me the way I should go because I long for You.
Psalms 143:8 HCSB
https://bible.com/bible/72/psa.143.8.HCSB

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, He got up, went out, and made His way to a deserted place. And He was praying there.
Mark 1:35 HCSB
https://bible.com/bible/72/mrk.1.35.HCSB

As he traveled and was nearing Damascus, a light from heaven suddenly flashed around him. Falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? ” 
“Who are You, Lord? ” he said. 
“I am Jesus, the One you are persecuting,” He replied. “But get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”
Acts 9:3‭-‬6 HCSB
https://bible.com/bible/72/act.9.3-6.HCSB

So what are we to do when we decide to do a quiet time?

1. Pray
2. Read
3. Write
4. Pray
5. Share

1. We are to Pray. We must confess our sins to God. We are to pray for God to clean our hearts and mind. We are to pray that God will speak to you.

2. We are to read our Bible. To start my suggestion would be to pick a Gospel: Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. And begin reading one or two paragraphs and reread about three times. And continue to read through the book you choose one or two paragraphs at a time. This is God's part of the communication street.

3. Keep a journal. Write down the date, what you read, and what God is speaking to you. We are able to remember more of what we write than any other method of learning, excluding long-term memory. By writing it down we can go back periodically and see a pattern of what God is speaking to us. 

4. Take time and pray back to God what He is speaking to you. This is our part of the communication street. 

I have not been good at points number one and four through Brian's Quiet Time Thoughts. So this is one reason why I am wanting to move to a Bible study time instead of doing it during my quiet time.

Therefore, brothers, make every effort to confirm your calling and election, because if you do these things you will never stumble. For in this way, entry into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be richly supplied to you.
2 Peter 1:10‭-‬11 HCSB
https://bible.com/bible/72/2pe.1.10-11.HCSB

One of our callings is to be sons and daughters of God. Those sons and daughters who spend quality time on the street communicating with God will never stumble and will be richly supplied. 

Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
Deuteronomy 6:7 HCSB
https://bible.com/bible/72/deu.6.7.HCSB

Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
Deuteronomy 11:19 HCSB
https://bible.com/bible/72/deu.11.19.HCSB

5. After God has blessed your socks off through a quiet time share it with someone. This was lacking in the days previous to January 2018. Brian's Quiet Time Thoughts was born out of the desire to share what God was speaking to me. I want to continue to share but I will not be every day and it will be both my blessed quiet times and Bible study. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The women with the issue of blood

The Word of God is #1 living!

Jephthah a Judge Whose Words Mattered