Why is Ephraim so important?

“When I return My people from captivity, when I heal Israel, the sins of Ephraim and the crimes of Samaria will be exposed. For they practice fraud; a thief breaks in; a raiding party pillages outside.”

‭‭Hosea‬ ‭6:11b-7:1‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/hos.7.1.HCSB


When you read “Ephraim” what do you think of? Do you think of Joseph son of Israel? Do you think of Israel adopting him as his son rather than his grandson? But that was many generations ago and many years ago. Why is God lifting Ephraim up now in the time of the kings and the exportation of Israel and Judah


“When Joseph saw that his father had placed his right hand on Ephraim’s head, he thought it was a mistake and took his father’s hand to move it from Ephraim’s head to Manasseh’s. Joseph said to his father, “Not that way, my father! This one is the firstborn. Put your right hand on his head.” 


But his father refused and said, “I know, my son, I know! He too will become a tribe, and he too will be great; nevertheless, his younger brother will be greater than he, and his offspring will become a populous nation.”

‭‭Genesis‬ ‭48:17-19‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/gen.48.19.HCSB


Do you think of Elkanah, Samuel’s dad? Do you remember Samuel the last Judge who anointed two kings of Israel?


“There was a man from Ramathaim-zophim in the hill country of Ephraim. His name was Elkanah son of Jeroham, son of Elihu, son of Tohu, son of Zuph, an Ephraimite.”

‭‭1 Samuel‬ ‭1:1‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/1sa.1.1.HCSB


Do you think of Jeroboam, the first King of the divided nation of Israel?


“Now Solomon’s servant, Jeroboam son of Nebat, was an Ephraimite from Zeredah. His widowed mother’s name was Zeruah. Jeroboam rebelled against Solomon,”

‭‭1 Kings‬ ‭11:26‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/1ki.11.26.HCSB


Here is God's charge to Jeroboam before he became King. 


“After that, if you obey all I command you, walk in My ways, and do what is right in My sight in order to keep My statutes and My commands as My servant David did, I will be with you. I will build you a lasting dynasty just as I built for David, and I will give you Israel.”

‭‭1 Kings‬ ‭11:38‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/1ki.11.38.HCSB


He did not obey God but there was a lasting nation that would walk in all his ways of evil against God. God through times past has been trying to bless Ephraim into an excellent nation as he did Judah but through disobedience has disappointed God. 


The same goes for us. God is wanting to give us an eternal and current blessing but we keep sinning and holding off the blessings of God, but one day Jesus will break through the clouds and establish His kingdom here on earth and do away with fraud, thieving, and raids (all sin). 


“I will leave a meek and humble people among you, and they will take refuge in the name of Yahweh. The remnant of Israel will no longer do wrong or tell lies; a deceitful tongue will not be found in their mouths. But they will pasture and lie down, with nothing to make them afraid.”

‭‭Zephaniah‬ ‭3:12-13‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/zep.3.13.HCSB


Are we willing to be meek humble people for God?



Comments

Popular Posts