God is not a man

“How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I surrender you, Israel? How can I make you like Admah? How can I treat you like Zeboiim? I have had a change of heart; My compassion is stirred! I will not vent the full fury of My anger; I will not turn back to destroy Ephraim. For I am God and not man, the Holy One among you; I will not come in rage.”

‭‭Hosea‬ ‭11:8-9‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/hos.11.8-9.HCSB


Who were Admah and Zeboiim? These two cities were allies with Sodom and Gomorrah. Who fell into the same punishment as Sodom and Gomorrah.


“In those days Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of Goiim waged war against Bera king of Sodom, Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboiim, as well as the king of Bela (that is, Zoar ).”

‭‭Genesis‬ ‭14:1-2‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/gen.14.1-2.HCSB


“All its soil will be a burning waste of sulfur and salt, unsown, producing nothing, with no plant growing on it, just like the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah, Admah and Zeboiim, which the Lord demolished in His fierce anger.”

‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭29:23‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/deu.29.23.HCSB


A friend to the world will suffer as the world suffers. Better to align ourselves with God and experience His forgiveness than to align ourselves with the world and suffer His wrath.


“Adulteresses! Don’t you know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? So whoever wants to be the world’s friend becomes God’s enemy.”

‭‭James‬ ‭4:4‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/jas.4.4.HCSB


“Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with My righteous right hand.”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭41:10‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/isa.41.10.HCSB


If God’s right hand is righteous then what is His left hand? I believe it is judgment or discipline, which both will be done righteously. We have lived in a church age that says God will not deal with us in judgment, but he has to deal righteously with sin! If someone robs our house and we catch him don't you think that anyone of us would have that person tried and punished for his crime. God is the same way. Those who live like the world will suffer the same outcome as the world. 


“The Lord does not delay His promise, as some understand delay, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish but all to come to repentance.”

‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/2pe.3.9.HCSB


But then unlike us, God does not require the stiffest penalty for our crimes against us at the moment we are caught, but rather gives us time to admit our guilt and turn around in repentance. All verdicts will be judged righteously and fairly. 


I look to the example of the Israelites in the wilderness with Moses. When they made the golden calf God was willing to destroy all of them and start over with Moses, but Moses interceded with God for the people based on the reputation of God. And God did not destroy them at that moment but waited 40+ years to let all that generation die off in the wilderness. And the new generation was able to walk into the promises of God. 


“God is not a man who lies, or a son of man who changes His mind. Does He speak and not act, or promise and not fulfill?”

‭‭Numbers‬ ‭23:19‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/72/num.23.19.HCSB


All the promises, whether blessings or curses, will come to pass for our actions here in our life. He never changes his mind but rather will hold back his wrath for a season.


“I have had a change of heart; My compassion is stirred! I will not vent the full fury of My anger!”



Comments

Popular Posts