Tola the Average Judge

“After Abimelech, Tola son of Puah, son of Dodo became judge and began to deliver Israel. He was from Issachar and lived in Shamir in the hill country of Ephraim. Tola judged Israel 23 years and when he died, was buried in Shamir.”

‭‭Judges‬ ‭10‬:‭1‬-‭2‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


Judge #8 Tola


Today we come across a judge with very little information. Tola means worm or scarlet. Tola was named after the first son of Issachar - the 5th son of Jacob/Israel. Tola, the judge, was born to Puah who shared the same name as one of the midwives during the time of Moses. Toll’s grandfather was Dodo, with no backstory. He lived among the people of Ephraim and was buried there. Presumably, he did nothing too evil for if he had God would have made sure to write out it. He was just a rather normal guy who stood up for God and began to deliver Israel from their sin and bondage. 


Are you just an average guy or an average girl? Do you have a desire to be used by God? You are in good company! Most of the people God chooses to use in just average. Most of us will not have a reputation like David, Moses, Peter, Paul, or Billy Graham. Nonetheless, we are just as important as they are! While the world may not know you, God does! 


“I chose you before I formed you in the womb; I set you apart before you were born. I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭1‬:‭5‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


“Remember these things, Jacob, and Israel, for you are My servant; I formed you, you are My servant; Israel, you will never be forgotten by Me.”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭44‬:‭21‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


“Remember these things, (Your name here), and (Your nickname here), for you are My servant; I formed you, you are My servant; (Your name here), you will never be forgotten by Me.”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭44‬:‭21‬ ‭YNH


“For it was You who created my inward parts; You knit me together in my mother’s womb. I will praise You because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, and I know this very well. My bones were not hidden from You when I was made in secret, when I was formed in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw me when I was formless; all my days were written in Your book and planned before a single one of them began.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭139‬:‭13‬-‭16‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


“For I know the plans I have for you” — this is the Lord’s declaration — “plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29‬:‭11‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


“I am the good shepherd. I know My own sheep, and they know Me,”

‭‭John‬ ‭10‬:‭14‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


“They will be My people, and I will be their God. I will give them one heart and one way so that for their good and for the good of their descendants after them, they will fear Me always.”

‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭32‬:‭38‬-‭39‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


God knows you, average guy or girl. He knows more about you than you do. He knows all your strengths and weaknesses, failures and victories, and still loves you!


“Because you are precious in My sight and honored, and I love you, I will give people in exchange for you and nations instead of your life.”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭43‬:‭4‬ ‭HCSB‬‬




Comments