Honesty



 Honesty


We have heard: “Honesty is the best policy”, but is there a better policy?


“The Lord spoke to Moses: “Speak to the entire Israelite community and tell them: Be holy because I, Yahweh your God, am holy. 


You must keep all My statutes and all My ordinances and do them; I am Yahweh.”

‭‭Leviticus‬ ‭19‬:‭1‬-‭2‬, ‭37‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


God tells us to be holy! In being holy we must also be honest. 


“You must not steal. You must not act deceptively or lie to one another.”

‭‭Leviticus‬ ‭19‬:‭11‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


But not just with our words, but with other’s stuff, our actions, and our stuff.


“You must not be unfair in measurements of length, weight, or volume. You are to have honest balances, honest weights, an honest dry measure, and an honest liquid measure; I am Yahweh your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt.”

‭‭Leviticus‬ ‭19‬:‭35‬-‭36‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


Jesus brought up “Be holy as I am Holy” in the middle of the sermon on the mount.


“Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5‬:‭48‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


God’s perfection is what we are to strive for. How God would deal with people is how we should deal with them. We are to be honest while being holy. 


“But as the One who called you is holy, you also are to be holy in all your conduct; for it is written, Be holy, because I am holy.”

‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1‬:‭15‬-‭16‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


“I always do my best to have a clear conscience toward God and men.”

‭‭Acts‬ ‭24‬:‭16‬ ‭HCSB‬‬


If we are being honest without being holy are we able to keep a clear conscience before God? If we are being holy without being honest are we able to keep a clear conscience before men? Honesty and holiness need to be attitudes we keep together. 

Comments

Popular Posts